Saturday, February 25, 2012

Chicken tacos with mango salsa

Before I get to the tacos...tonight some of our friends came over for dessert and brought homemade huckleberry and dark chocolate ice cream. It was VERY yummy!! She even brought over homemade waffle bowls and waffle cones. They smelled wonderful. I took pictures to post later so that you can see for yourself.

This past week I had gotten 3 mangoes from a produce co-op that I do called Bountiful Baskets(look it up in your area, it is really great). So with these beautiful mangoes I knew that I wanted to make mango salsa. So I decided to do chicken tacos with the mango salsa. It so happened to be on Tuesday night somat our house it was Taco Tuesday!

I prepared my chicken in a slow cooker and added 2 chicken breasts, some water(not totally covering the chicken), paprika, minced garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper and lime juice. I cooked it on low for I think 5 hours. The chicken turned out with a great flavor.

Then for the mango salsa I used 2 mangoes, less than a quarter of a red onion, 3 roma tomatoes chopped, handful of chopped cilantro, 1 avocado chopped, little bit of jalapeno chopped and a lot of lime juice. So tasty!!

I served it with corn tortillas(which I just got a recipe for homemade tortillas using spelt flour so i am anxious to try those soon), lettuce, rice and I forgot the cheese but we didn't even notice because they were very yummy! My 5 year old loved the mango salsa!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, now I just need to know how much of the spices you put in? Don't want to over load of the flavor. LOL. Good Job Gretchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was about a teaspoon each but i just kind of eyed it. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete