Sunday, April 8, 2012

Meatloaf....what a great comfort food!

I have always really liked meatloaf and now that I have found this recipe I love meatloaf...especially, when I am wanting some good hearty comfort food. This recipe is from the Joy of Cooking and my cookbook is falling apart because it is one of my favorites.

Meatloaf

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease a 9 X 5 inch loaf pan.
Combine in a large bowl:
12 ounces ground beef chuck
12 ounces ground beef round (depending on what I have I usually just use 24 ounces of the same beef)
1 1/2 cups finely chopped onions
1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats or breadcrumbs (I use the old fashioned oats and those have worked too)
2/3 cup ketchup
2/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. ground thyme ( I usually don't have this and tonight I just added a little Italian seasoning)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper

Knead the mixture with your hands until everything is well blended.  Do not over mix.
Fill the loaf pan with the meat mixture, mounding the top. I sometimes put more ketchup on the top.  Place the pan on a baking sheet and bake until the meat is firm to the touch and has shrunk from the sides of the pan or until an instant read thermometer inserted in the center of the load reads 160 degrees.  1- 1 1/4 hours.  Pour off the excess fat and let stand for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment