Friday, March 2, 2012

Northern Bean Soup

I found this recipe on 16 And Me Blog I made it last night and it turned out very tasty even though I would change just a couple of things. Here is the recipe:


Ingredients:
¼ cup butter (I used olive oil)
2 Tablespoon fresh cilantro
1 large onion 
1 Tablespoon dried basil
1 clove of garlic
1 Tablespoon chili powder
2 breasts of diced chicken
3 cups of chicken broth
2 cans of great northern beans (Undrained) (Or try cooking your own raw beans, just follow the directions on the back of the bag.)
4 tomatos

Directions
Pre-cook chicken cut into bit sized pieces. Melt butter in sauce pan with the onion and the garlic then add to the chicken. Put all remaining ingredients together except tomato. Heat to boil, then reduce to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Tomato is to be added to each individual bowl of soup. You can also break up the cilantro and add to the individual bowls of soup as well.

Next time I will add a little jalapeno and some lime juice and my husband would prefer rice instead of beans. It is also great with some avocado on top too. My friend joined us for lunch today and she really enjoyed the soup too. My five year old said "Mmmmm mommy this soup is really good."

1 comment:

  1. Delicious! Loved the beans with the chicken and tasty broth. The avocado on top completed the dish for me! Gracious Chef Gretch!

    ReplyDelete