Thursday, August 2, 2012

Massaman Curry

This is one of my favorite Thai dishes and I have been wanting to learn how to make this for some time.  I found some recipes online and headed to the Asian Market to get some of the things I would need for sure.  The lady helping me gave me her recipe and I got Massaman curry paste, fish sauce, coconut milk and tamarind.  She told me to prepare in the morning so that all the flavors could marinate together throughout the day.  I gave the recipe a try today and it turned out great.

2 Tbsp.  Vegetable Oil  (I used coconut oil)
3 Tbsp.  Massaman curry paste
Stir fry for 2 minutes on medium heat.
add 1/3 can of coconut milk
Stir fry for 2 minutes.
Add raw chicken or beef (I used chicken)
Stir fry for 3-4 minutes
Add the rest of the coconut milk
 and 1/2 can of water
3 Tbsp. fish sauce
3 1/2 Tbsp. sugar (I used agave nectar)
2 Tbsp. Tamarind liquid
4 Potato chunked ( I used gold potatoes)
3 carrots chunked
1/3 cup roasted peanuts or cashews (I used peanut butter)
Boil for 1/2 hour
Simmer for 1/2 hour
I felt like I needed to add more water because the sauce was too thick.

Serve with jasmine rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment